I never miss breakfast it’s my favourite meal of the day and one of huge importance. I love a good variety, but occasionally I get hold of something I like and have it religiously. I have just been through a long avocado phase but now winter is almost here I want to mix it up a bit.
After flicking through all my favourite cook books, and experimenting during cooking class with Nicky from TLC, I decided on granola for you.
I am not a big fan of shop bought versions, which is why I decided to make my own. My homemade version is super easy to make so now I can enjoy this breakfast knowing it is healthy and guilt free.
The ingredients are all organic, and the added nuts, are benefitting me hugely.
This is something that can last for weeks when made and placed in a jar. I make it sugar free and gluten free so no bloating is caused in the tummy. Maple syrup and coconut sugar replace unnatural sugars and trust me you won’t be disappointed or feel you are missing out.
- Cup full of gluten free porridge oats
- Cup full of mix nuts – I used hazelnuts, almonds, pumpkin seeds, brazil nuts, walnuts
- 1/2 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1 banana
- 1 juice of a squeezed orange
- Zest of orange
- 2 tbsp of coconut sugar
- 2 tbsp of maple syrup
- 1.5 tbsp of cacao powder
- Heat your oven to 180c/gas mark 4
- Put all your dry ingredients together and whizz very quickly in a food processor just to break it down but don’t mill it down you don’t want sand!
- Grab baking parchment, and brush with coconut oil place on baking tray. Pour the dry ingredients on the paper and spread. Place the wet ingredients together, and blitz to a thick juice. (Don’t add the zest)
- Pour the whizzed juice over the mix and use your hands to massage into it.
- Place in the oven for 20 minutes and then pull the tray out and let it sit until it’s cool.
- I like to eat it with natural yogurt, berries and honey with the zest on top.
- Delicious and it will last in an airtight container for a few weeks although mine is usually finished in a week!