Hearty, warm, healthy food is great for this cold spell. With lamb being quite a fatty meat It’s not something I cook regularly but it is something I grew up with. My parents loved it and my mum made a mean Malaysian curry which I have fond memories of.
I have only recently started using a slow cooker again, I had one years ago and it wasn’t that great, or I wasn’t that great at using it. A few of my friends swear by them so I thought It was time to give it a second go.
Rich is not a big stew fan, and to be honest it’s not one of my favourite dishes either. Like me he was made to eat it as a child!
When I told Rich I was using a slow cooker the look on his face was a picture! Once I convinced him it wasn’t for a stew we started to get a slightly better reaction. This was a brave move, I decided to do it for some old friends who we hadn’t seen for a while. It needed to be right first time, or else it was pasta for supper! As it happens it turned out very well, delicious in fact and Rich enjoyed it so much – I even caught him going back for seconds. We ate it with broccoli, sweet potato (cubed and roasted) and cauliflower rice.
First off this recipe is easy, the flavour is all in the marinade and if you have time then let this work its magic before you pop it in to cook for 7 hours. Once in the slow cooker you can go about your day and have a nice time doing what you need to do.
This as I have mentioned above is a slow roast dish so you do not add the fluid you let the meat and the marinade work its magic together.
One burning question is lamb good for you? Well if it’s raised well, grass-fed in a nice environment then this means the meat is good. Grass-fed animals tend to have much higher amounts of heart-healthy omega-3 fatty acids. This is meat that should be eaten in moderation because of its high calorie content. Ask your local butcher for the best bits with the least fat.
You should only eat meat 3 times a week tops, and if you make the right choices you will find buying good organic free range is not as expensive as you may have thought. It is certainly beneficial to your overall health If you shape your diet to be majority plant and fish based.
However, saying that please enjoy this, it’s a crowd pleaser and works well as a winter dish.
- 1 Lamb shoulder from the butcher grass fed and organic
- 2 tbsp of brown miso paste
- 1.5 tbsp of honey
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon of cider vinegar
- 2 parsnips cut length ways and 4 carrots and 1 aubergine cut length ways.
- Add everything to the pan (excl the lamb) and cook slowly until it merges into a marinade. Before hand decide on your vegetables and layer the bottom of the slow cooker. Use some of the marinade to just gloss the vegetables. Use the rest the of the marinade for the lamb and let it sit for an hour if you can unless you are short of time.
- Place the cooker on low and cook for 7 hours.
- Once done the meat needs to be removed and covered with foil. Let it sit for a little before serving with cauliflower rice, and an array of winter vegetables. The meat should fall off the bone and everyone can help themselves.