The ease of putting this dish together is just one of the reasons I love it so much. The ingredients are quick to organise as well as being beneficial to your health. Turmeric as you know is a super healthy ingredient, but put it with ginger, lime, and chilli and this is a winning health combination and an abundance of beautiful flavours that work so well together.
Turmeric contains compounds that have powerful anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal and anti-bacterial properties. A growing body of research supports the notion that one such compound, curcumin, can inhibit the growth of cancer cells. Last year, one study found curcumin was more effective in treating rheumatoid arthritis than prescription anti-inflammatories. Some interesting facts for you to think about.
As a good tip if you have turmeric stains lemon juice usually gets rid of them!
I decided with this I would add it with noodles for a healthier version you can spiralise some courgettes and this would also be a lovely dish. Here I used organic noodles. The salad is a choice thing, but my version is here to give you some guidance.
Quick to prepare, this dish is a crowd pleaser for a week day supper. The leftovers can also be used for lunch the following day accompanied by a green salad, a slice of rye toast and some natural yogurt.
- 2 skinless chicken breasts or 4 skinless thighs
- 1 tsp turmeric
- 1 red chilli. Remove the seeds and chop it up finely
- 1 tbsp of fresh ginger grated
- 1 tbsp of coconut oil
- Zest of lime
For the salad
- Handful of kale storks removed – and then finely chopped and massaged with a little oil
- 7-10 of basil leaves chopped small (save 2 leaves for the plate dressing at the end)
- Sliced red radishes sliced finely
- Handful of fresh spinach leaves
- Sliced red pepper
- 2 spring onions (or more if you like) finely chopped
- Cashew nuts (unsalted) crushed
- Lime juice from the whole lime used for the zest
- Olive oil
- Noodles – boil as per instructions – use egg noodles or spiralise courgettes
- For the chicken, mix all the ingredients together except the coconut oil, leave to marinade for 20 minutes if you can, if not you can cook it straight away.
- On a medium heat fry off the cashew nuts on a so they are toasted. This only needs a few minutes, do not walk away as they will burn.
- Once done add the oil to the pan and cook it on each side for a few minutes then flip over, keep doing this for about 10 minutes check the chicken to see if it’s cooked. Once you are satisfied put it on a plate.
- Now make your salad. Again play with the ingredients to make it to your taste, be adventurous but make sure its in keeping with your meal. Vegetables are awesome and so you have an array to choose from if you want to pack it out. Mix it all together, and then make a dressing with the lime juice and oil.
- Add the salad and the noodles.
- Cut the chicken up into strips, and then add to the noodles with the juices from the pan, once done add the lime dressing on top of it and mix, top with extra basil and cashews!